- Keep Calm
- Tell the child you believe them
- Show interest and concern
- Reassure and support the child
- Take action…it could save a child’s life
- Panic or overreact
- Pressure the child
- Confront the child or minimize their feelings
- Overwhelm the child with questions
Who to Contact
The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) is dedicated to the prevention of child abuse. Serving the United States, its territories, and Canada, the hotline is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with professional crisis counselors who, through interpreters, can provide assistance in over 170 languages. The hotline offers crisis intervention, information, literature, and referrals to thousands of emergency, social service, and support resources. All calls are confidential.
When calling 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453), a qualified crisis counselor will answer and assist you, if you:
- Need help and want to talk to a counselor.
- Are in physical or emotional crisis and need support and encouragement.
- Need to be connected to the best possible resources in your area.
- Have questions about the signs of child abuse.
- Need to find out how to report known or suspected abuse.
- Have questions about the reporting process and what you might expect through the process.
- Want to learn about Childhelp programs that will address you or your child’s needs.
- Want to learn about resources available to parents, grandparents and caregivers.
- Need emotional support as a survivor of abuse.
- Want a referral to an agency, counseling or other services near where you live.
- Want literature mailed to you. (Allow two weeks for delivery via the U.S. Postal Service.)
- Want information on how to make a donation to Childhelp.
Childhelp crisis counselors cannot come to the home where the abuse is happening and take away the child or teen who is in danger of being hurt and put them in a new home.
The Childhelp Hotline crisis counselors can’t make the child abuse report for you, but we are here to help you through it.